About Me

My photo
Rock Hill, SC, United States
"My heart is overflowing with a good theme. I recite my compositions concerning the King. My tongue is the pen of a ready writer." (Psalm 45:1) This verse has become a life verse for me. As I continue to walk it out, I realize this journey as a breast cancer survivor has changed me but does not define me. I remain the loved, chosen, redeemed and blessed child of the living God who supplies me daily with more hope, strength, grace and courage than I ever dreamed I could possess! God has been so good to me ... indeed my tongue is the pen of a ready writer ... poised to tell the story of my faithful Father! I love Him so!

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Finding Rest - Psalm 62

I’m sitting here on my sofa ... house quiet save the puppies running around and playing in the den. It’s been rainy today and so when they came in from a few minutes in the yard the youngest one, Lucy, looked like a wet rat (she’s only 4 months old, a hairy mixture of malti-poo and “powderpuff” breeds) and I can hear her running with all of her might through the kitchen and den, sliding as she goes. She’s such a ball of energy and completely unaware of it! If she’d only slow down!

My thoughts return to what I’m doing ... I’m sitting here on my sofa ... my quiet corner of the house ... feeling very content at the end of a day where the housework is done; things, for the most part, are put away in their places; the laundry is finishing up; and dinner is in the crock pot. You know those kinds of days? Contentment, satisfaction, peace ... emotions that lend themselves to our fully thinking about the goodness of God! Moments where it is easy to be still before the Lord.

But what robs us of these moments in our daily days? You know the days when nothing is going right? What makes us come in from the world looking like a “wet rat” sliding all over the place, like Lucy, completely unaware that if we’d just slow down a bit ... just a bit, and take time to be still ... perfectly still in His presence ... how different our days might be.

I can only speak for myself but I want to be still. I want to be found resting in His presence, safely in His grip, completely absorbed by His goodness! I want to say with David (from Psalm 62) ...

 1 My soul finds rest in God alone;
       my salvation comes from him.

 2 He alone is my rock and my salvation; 
       he is my fortress, I will never be shaken.
 5 Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; 
       my hope comes from him.
 6 He alone is my rock and my salvation; 
       he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.
 7 My salvation and my honor depend on God; 
       he is my mighty rock, my refuge.
 8 Trust in him at all times, O people; 
       pour out your hearts to him, 
       for God is our refuge. 
       Selah

Did you catch that in verse 1 and 5? They basically say the same thing but the tense makes the application slightly different. Vs. 1 says, my soul finds, that’s present tense ...it’s happening at this very moment; Vs 5 says it this way, find rest, indicating a plea to take an action; to look for something, in this case to find rest.
Now I’m no scholar but in my life that speaks to me ....
I can be confident that my soul does find rest in my right now moments.
I must be actively pursuing rest in those moments that I find myself striving against the rest that He so freely gives.

So Father, I thank you for the rest that you give me in the midst of peaceful days and the peace you offer on those days where, to You, I must look like a ball of energy, striving for rest that is only found in You. Forgive me Lord for not being still in Your presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment