About Me

My photo
Rock Hill, SC, United States
"My heart is overflowing with a good theme. I recite my compositions concerning the King. My tongue is the pen of a ready writer." (Psalm 45:1) This verse has become a life verse for me. As I continue to walk it out, I realize this journey as a breast cancer survivor has changed me but does not define me. I remain the loved, chosen, redeemed and blessed child of the living God who supplies me daily with more hope, strength, grace and courage than I ever dreamed I could possess! God has been so good to me ... indeed my tongue is the pen of a ready writer ... poised to tell the story of my faithful Father! I love Him so!

Friday, January 27, 2012

Sweet Siesta Time in Siestaville (aka Houston, TX)

I had the most wonderfully blessed weekend away recently (January 19 - 23) when I flew out to Houston, Texas to meet up with 1200 +/-  other Siesta's and our "Siesta Mama" (Beth Moore) for our Siesta Scripture Memory Team Celebration.

What is that you ask? Well, let me answer that question first ... "So, what is it?"

Siestaville is the online blog community of Living Proof Ministries where "Siesta's",  who were committed to learning scripture in 2011 as part of the Siesta Scripture Memory Team, could gather and "walk it out" together. The blog is a great place for connection and holding each other accountable. Here's how we did it.

On the first and fifteenth day of each month, our Siesta Mama would lead us out with a blog post of encouragement, devotion, etc., and then she would post her specific memory verse. We then would post our name, our city and state, and our verse, including the reference and Bible translation. (Of course, if you didn't have your own verse for that time around you were always invited to memorize Beth's with her). We also wrote them in a little spiral that could be carried around with us so our memory work was never far away and always on our minds. Here's a little picture of mine. 
My Siesta Scripture Spiral

What an amazing year I personally have had by intentionally tucking 24 verses into my heart. It never failed that the Lord would give me just the right verse at just the right moment. Looking back through my verses makes my heart melt as I remember what was happening in my journey while memorizing each verse. Life Changing! And I mean that.

From the beginning, we knew that in January 2012 there would be a planned weekend of celebration so when Fall 2011 rolled around and I received the blog post with details I just knew that I had to attend. I immediately registered for the event, reserved my hotel, bought my airline ticket and began counting the days, with great anticipation, knowing all along that I would not know a single soul! Glad I'm an extrovert! LOL!

And this brings me to the really fun part of filling you in on the details of my trip and the wonderful Siesta's I met. It begins on Thursday, at Gate B1 (Charlotte Douglas Airport), while waiting to board my afternoon non-stop flight to Houston. I notice a young woman (mid 30's) sneaking up behind another young woman (also mid-30's) and surprising her. Well, it seems that the one had surprised the other by being on her flight and even in the seat next to her! How sweet! She had thought they would meet in Houston! Surprise!

I thought to myself, "they have to be Siesta's!" But, while I am an extrovert I didn't ask ... not yet, anyway ... I mean after all, they could be going to Houston for any number of reasons, right? I didn't want to make an idiot out of myself before I even got out of Charlotte, for crying out loud!

So we land in Houston and I find the baggage claim area only to notice these two women are already there. I decide to walk over to them and simply ask ... "You're Siesta's aren't you?" ...  and before they could even answer we hear a squeal and turn to find another Siesta just over our shoulder, waving her arms and jumping up and down as she shouts, "yes, yes!". Too funny! We just seemed to be everywhere!

Well, as it turned out the first two Siesta's I mentioned were staying in my hotel ~ Karen (KY) and Laura (NC). Such sweet Siesta's and they let me hang out with them a bit. Here they are. Beautiful inside and outside!

Karen and Laura

Friday, at lunch, I heard on Facebook about a local Houston Siesta that was inviting any of us that could to come to a Mexican restaurant called Pappasito's so I went. Did I mention that I'm an extrovert? haha!
The table stretched on and on. I bet there were at least 35-40 Siesta's there!

Glad I went, too, because I got to meet about 40 other women from all over the country who were there for the same purpose to celebrate God and His Word! I was especially drawn to the women sitting right around me, Karen (WI), Michelle (WI) and Dawn (OH). We just seemed to click and would find many more opportunities over the next couple of days to visit and chat. We're even planning a road trip! Yay!


L-R: Cindy, Karen, Michelle, Dawn

Friday evening, we all descended on Houston's First Baptist Church and were led in worship by Travis Cottrell and his team followed by Beth teaching us from 2 John. Good stuff and I left there filled to overflowing! But before we left, we took group shots with Beth by US Zone. Here's my zone.
 

Back to the church on Saturday morning for a continental breakfast, more worship, more teaching and the opportunity to say all my verses to my partner. That would be Dawn from Ohio. We rejoiced with each other as we took turns and completed all 24 verses. The event concluded at Noon with many hugs, tears and hearts that were just brimming with abundant blessings!

I went with Karen, Michelle and Dawn to lunch at Yia Yia Mary's Pappas Greek Kitchen and as we approached our table we ran into 3 other Siesta's. We hadn't met them but they knew we had been at the event because we still had our name tags on. This is where I met Stacey and Tina and we struck up a conversation which led to exchanging phone numbers so they could meet up with me at Houston's First for worship on Sunday.

Sunday morning came and I headed over to the church. As promised Tina and Stacey were waiting to intercept me and let me sit with them. Afterward, they took me to lunch and then later in the afternoon we gathered at Tina's home and just hung out. Her two youngest daughters were with us. Such sweet girls ... All of them!

Back at the hotel on Sunday night I began to pack for my Monday early morning flight and all the while wondering how long it would be before I came down from the wonderful mountaintop that I now found myself on. After all, isn't that how it usually happens? One week later, I'm still there because you know why? Here's how I figure it ...

It's not just one single moment in time (or event) that puts me there.
It's not the incredible worship led by an anointed worship leader.
It's not the moving, inspired teaching of one humble teacher.

Those things may be the catalyst but what really puts me there and more importantly, keeps me there will be the One and Only God who longs to fellowship with me. My faithful Father who says "If you seek Me I will be found". 

So, the way I've got it figured ... if I come down off my mountaintop it will be because I chose to do so. No, I'm gonna choose to keep walking this thing out, face to the ground, in His Word, seeking His face and praying Psalm 143:10 over my every step ...

Teach me to do Your will for You are my God;
may Your good Spirit lead me on level ground. 

Why is this my prayer? Why is this my pursuit? The answer to that can be found in the very next verse ... Psalm 143:11 ...

For Your name's sake, Lord ...

Anything good in me, any success or blessing, any trial or hardship, anything at all ... may it be for the sake of Your great name, Lord,  and for Your fame alone.

Since Living Proof only organizes the memory team every other year I guess that means I'm on my own for scripture memory in 2012. Well, that's not entirely true. You see I have a "daughter in the faith" who is memorizing with me. We both have our spirals and have already posted Verses 1 & 2. I guess that kind of makes me a Siesta Mama too! Hadn't thought about that until right this very moment ... you know me ... what comes up, comes out! Anyway, it will be such a blessing to have her in my life!

Maybe you can join all of us Siesta's in 2013. I promise you will be blessed ... more than that He promises you will be blessed ... after all His Word ".. is living and active, sharper than any double edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joint and marrow; it judges the thoughts and the attitudes of the heart" (Heb. 4:12 - NIV) It'll change you through and through!

Now what could be better than that? Nothing, that's what!

Blessings to ya, 

Cindy K



12 comments:

  1. Wish I could have been there again this year. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I hope you are able to attend in Jan 2014. I'd love to meet you and hear all about the event from 2010. Take care and stay in touch!

      Blessings,
      Cindy K

      Delete
  2. I couldnt have said it better! It was an amazing weekend- a Beautiful gift tied up in a Abba Father! Thanks for sharing, sorry I didn't get to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was an amazing weekend and I'm so glad I went! I look forward to meeting you next time! Stay in touch!

      Blessings,
      Cindy K

      Delete
  3. Cindy, I loved reading your post. I wish we could have met, especially since you have 2 of the same photos I have. I was also at Pappasito's...that was so exciting. We started with what we thought was 8 gals for lunch and it kept growing. I am in your photo of the East Coast...living in MD. We may meet in 2013 if Jesus keeps us here that long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you found my post especially since we seem to have shared some of it, right! Funny how our paths were criss crossing. By the way, where were you standing in the group pic? I do hope to get to meet you next time!

      Delete
  4. Hi Cindy! Karen just sent me your post. I so enjoyed reading it and hearing all about your experience. I'm so glad to have met you and got to spend time with you during the amazing trip. Karen and I are memorizing scripture together too, so know you have 2 more siestas to rejoice with at the end of 2012.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I knew I wasn't really alone in memorizing. It has meant to much to all of us and I bet most (if not all) women are making it a discipline in 2012. Good to have met you as well. Take care and stay in touch!

      Delete
  5. Oh, Cindy, what a wonderful recap of a year in Siestaville! How blessed we are to have a 'Siesta Mama' whose small vision and genuine love to see women grow together in community has become what we just experienced ... who could even imagine that except our amazing FATHER!! Thanks for the reminder that is is for HIS GLORY that we do and get to experience all this! And thanks for being my patient & encouraging memory partner and a 'kindred spirit' kind of friend. Can't wait for that road trip!! Blessings today, dear siesta :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen and Amen! Hope you are doing well. Been praying for you Carol and the rest of your family too. Keep in touch, my friend. I'm just an email away (or phone call)!

      Blessings,
      Cindy

      Delete
  6. Loved reading your post. I too still on a mountain high! You explained everything beautifully. Thank you for coming over to my house and just hanging. It was pure joy to get to know you better. Thank you for the CD...I got it today. WAHOO!! Stacey and I are memorizing scripture still this year too:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina ~ thank you for your kind hospitality and for inviting me to church, lunch and then to hang out on Sunday afternoon. I feel like I've known you and Stacey forever! So grateful for the Lord allowing our paths to cross and I surely do hope He does it again!

      Stay in touch!
      Cindy

      Delete