About Me

My photo
Rock Hill, SC, United States
"My heart is overflowing with a good theme. I recite my compositions concerning the King. My tongue is the pen of a ready writer." (Psalm 45:1) This verse has become a life verse for me. As I continue to walk it out, I realize this journey as a breast cancer survivor has changed me but does not define me. I remain the loved, chosen, redeemed and blessed child of the living God who supplies me daily with more hope, strength, grace and courage than I ever dreamed I could possess! God has been so good to me ... indeed my tongue is the pen of a ready writer ... poised to tell the story of my faithful Father! I love Him so!

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Moments in the Month of May

As Believers in the Lord Jesus Christ we are called to minister. We are called to take His light and allow it to shine, through us, into dark places. We are called to speak the truth in love. We are called to be salt and light in the world around us. Not one of us who profess His name is exempt ... not one. We may not all have the same ministry platform but we all have a platform of ministry. A circle of influence. Lives around us that we can enrich and be enriched by. We are all called.

These moments of ministry are sometimes found in the ordinary, everyday moments of living life with our family and friends. Other times they are intentionally planned.  Events organized in advance and birthed from a place of joy and expectation. Still, at other times they flow from a deep ache within the heart when life takes unexpected turns. Either way, whether ordinary or not, planned or not, joy laden or not, the moments of ministry come from His sovereign hand and we are faced with a choice. Do we find our place of ministry in the midst of what He has allowed? Do we receive it as a gift of ministry to faithfully steward? Or do we turn our backs asking not to be bothered by someone else's need? I pray we'd always be willing to be poured out!

It's been that way for me this month. May has been quite a mixed bag of ministry flowing both in joy and grief, from a platform and from right across the kitchen table, but that is life on planet earth and I count it all as an honor.

First of all, the JOY:

I had the wonderful opportunity to spend the morning of Saturday, May 5th, with a precious group of about 30 women at Temple Baptist Church in Rock Hill, SC.  We spent our time in Psalm 46 ... I love the many great nuggets found in this passage. We lifted our song in worship, we laughed, we cried, and we did all of this while basking together in the sweetness of His presence. Remember ladies, (from verses 4-5) "There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God, the holy place where the Most High dwells. God is within her, she will not fall; God will help her at break of dawn."

Oh, that incredible, magnificent presence of our Lord. 
There is no one like our God!

The following Saturday morning, May 12th, I had the privilege, along with a couple of friends (Kendra and Paige) to lead worship for a Mother~Daughter Brunch at Hopewell Baptist Church in Monroe, NC. What a joy to lead approximately 250 women (from all generations) to the throne in worship. He alone deserves our worship ~ and, in fact, ain't nobody else gonna get my praise!

There is no one like our God!

The guest speaker for the brunch was wonderful and as it turned out she had been friends with Mark's mother. Her name is Phyllis and she had walked with Mrs. Kessler, prayed for her, and lived life with her all those years ago. You see, Mark's mother died of breast cancer in 1981. We miss her so much and on this Mother's Day weekend I considered it a treasure and sweet gift from the Lord to have met someone who called her "friend".

There is no one like our God!

The very next day, Mother's Day ~ May 13th, I was privileged to go back to Temple Baptist to share in Worship and Word.  This time my friends, Kendra and Paige, joined me as we led worship and then we went to the Word and took a look at the life of Rahab, the harlot. Have you read her story from Joshua 2? Incredible. And then you'll find her listed right there in the genealogy of Jesus Christ, and in the hall of faith (Hebrews) and in the book of James. She allowed Faith to be the hand that grasped Grace and God honored her with a place in the lineage of Christ as well as in all of history.

Let me just say this ...

        There is nowhere you can go, 

                    Nothing you can ever do,
                             
                                No pit too wide or too deep,

that our great God will not still stoop to rescue you and clothe you in His forgiveness and righteousness. He loves you with a lavish, abundant, and all sufficient love.  

There is no one like our God!

Well, those are the ministry moments afforded to me this month in the midst of JOY ...

But there have been a few that sprung from the aching heart of GRIEF, as well, and it has been my honor and privilege to be a part of the music in all three of these home-going services...

Tuesday evening, May 15th, was the time set aside to honor an amazing woman of God who will be missed so much and by so many. Janelle Hayes walked with such grace and courage straight into the presence of her Lord and Savior and those who knew her have been forever changed by her example in the midst of the storm.

Saturday morning, May 19th, was the time set aside to honor another precious saint, Paula. Although she lost her battle with cancer she gained an inheritance that is worth more than gold. She now abides in the presence of the living God. Thank you for leaving us an example of a life well lived.

Tuesday afternoon, May 22nd, was the time set aside to honor yet another woman, Janice, who exemplified grace and dignity in the midst of uncertainty. She had battled cancer for 18 years and when I met her in 2009 I was drawn to her calm, gentle spirit. We became fast friends and I will be forever changed by our friendship. I would have liked more years to learn from her but I am thankful to the Lord for the almost 3 years He granted us. My life is richer for the journey.

So there you have it ~ life and loss, ministry happening all around and in many ways ~ and all of it by His design.

When I flipped my calendar from April to May, I could not have known what the days would hold. Then again, we never do. So, I'm learning to be ready. To be in His Word and on my knees before Him so that when ministry presents itself,  whether in laughter or tears, on a platform or across the kitchen table, I will be available with a word or song on my tongue to offer encouragement, hope and peace.

Wherever, however, and doing whatever He calls each one of us to do ~  let's do it all for His glory and fame and let us count it a privilege each step of the way! Thanking Him for the call upon our lives to touch and be touched in return.

There is simply no one like our God!

Let the pouring begin ...

Cindy K

No comments:

Post a Comment